Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Toothpaste


When I was a little girl and would sit in the bathroom I'd get bored staring at the shower curtain. I was doing what every kid does, stretch out the time to keep from doing chores. So, I'd look for something to read and inevitably I'd find the toothpaste tube. Now days I keep a mini library in my bathrooms. After years of sitting there I realized that I had memorized the "quote from the dentist".... "Crest has been shown to be an effective decay preventive dentifrice that can be of significant value when used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care."

It wasn't until years later that I learned this quote is on ALL toothpaste tubes. Wow, what a disappointment in Crest. I grew up with Crest toothpaste, Tide laundry detergent, Downy fabric softener, and Ivory soap. I don't use any of them now. It's amazing what you pick up from your parents only to discard when you get older and wiser - or maybe there's just a wider range of choices today.

Anyway, I digress. I told this toothpaste story to Julie and Mary when they were little. Tonight, Julie reminded me that she and Mary memorized that quote and made into a song. She can only recite it now if she sings it. Oh, my.... what did I do to my kids? I can close my eyes and see them sitting side by side happily singing the song they made just for me. Oh, my.... what did my kids do to me?

I remember as they grew taller, closer to my height, I would tell them that they weren't allowed to grow anymore. I wanted to keep them just they way they were, short and huggable. Well, only Julie remained shorter than me but all remained huggable. I've been wrestling with the idea that Mary will always be 28. She'll never grow older, never change. So, along with the laughs of times gone by comes the tears of reality. Guess I'm going to have to learn to laugh and cry at the same time. Once again, that's why I wear sunglasses inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment