Tuesday, December 20, 2011

You can too

I am not strong
I am not weak
I just am
You can be too.


I don't know what it's like to live on the precipice of life.  To wonder each night if you will wake up the next morning.  I'm pretty sure that hope keeps you going and every day that you wake up is a good day no matter how you feel.  But that's just a guess.  That's what you always said.

I'm sorry the last few years were not as good as they could have been but I know the last few months were the best.  I have no regrets about our relationship.  We knew what love is and learned to accept each other as equals.  You pushed others to expand themselves.  Some could, some couldn't.  You took nothing for granted.  You faith is in the love of your family and friends.  You are the best part of me.



I am not sorry that I am hurting 
Not sorry that I am sad.


It' not easy to hurt like this
Not easy to feel bad.


I can't just shake it off 
like the rain upon your coat.
And I can't just walk away
from a life I've always known.


I feel your presence everywhere
your footsteps in the halls
your laughter in the echos
of the quiet on your walls.


When I reach to touch your face
I wipe away a tear
There's only empty space I see
And what's left is cold, hard fear


You've gone from womb to tomb my child
And the good die young they say
So many catchy phrases used
Spit out to save the day.


I'm not sorry that I don't smile anymore
Laughter hardens a broken heart
And I'm not sorry I held you 
as you left this life of ours


But I will survive,
You made sure,
I will survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment